destroy this new idea that a woman can’t be strong if she cries over a man she’s lost. destroy the idea that you have to be cold and emotionally detached in order to be a strong woman
- Do not forget Michael Brown
- Do not forget how the media dehumanized him and tried to justify his murder
- Do not forget how peaceful protests were painted as savage riots
- Do not forget police armed with military grade weapons terrorized and arrested black civilians
- Do not forget Darren Wilson being awarded over $200,000 in fundraiser donations for murdering an unarmed black child
- Do not forget that this system was not built to defend us, but to control us
- Do not forget Ferguson
People told me it would happen, but I never really focus too much on negative things or people. Alas, I just got accused of being secretive, selfish, and “changing for the worse” since I’ve moved to New York.
I admit. I am a private person, but people are allowed to be. You don’t have to share things with anyone until you are good and ready. Your moments, accomplishments, successes, failures, ups and downs are YOURS and no one else’s. Unfortunately, family and friends sometimes feel entitled to know your every move simply because they hold titles within your life. But, oh, slip up and refuse to tell them all of your business and you suddenly need to get your life together.
Honestly, I’m always going to be private. No one and their misunderstanding of me is going to ever change that because I know who I am. I’m strong and take care of myself and don’t rely on anyone else.
How does one actually get accused of trying to be different though? That part of the convo was comical.